Monday, May 18, 2020

Review: Scoob!


I didn’t expect this review to come out as quickly as it did.  It’s funny how inspiration strikes at the least likely of times.



So in my previous review, I went into full detail about how movie studios are trying to adjust to the new normal this pandemic brought onto us.  All of the big blockbusters that were coming out over the next couple months simply got pushed back to a later release date in hopes that the Coronavirus would be gone by the late summer/early fall or in some cases 2021.  Yeah….I wish it was that easy too.  Universal Studios was the first studio to find a way to capitalize on the new normal by keeping some of their projects at their current release date but releasing them on video on demand streaming (VOD).  And some of these projects were recognizable big name properties that have proven to make hundreds of millions worldwide.


That’s why for a while I was planning to review Trolls World Tour, the biggest movie to be released in the past two months.  All for the historical context because all the movie studios had their eyes on this.  Waiting to see how it performed and if it was financially successful enough for other studios to adjust to the new normal or keep pushing their big properties back until the pandemic was over.  But I just couldn’t do it.  I couldn’t spend my money on a sequel that I have zero interest in seeing because the original turned me away from ever wanting to see anything else DreamWorks had in store for it.  It’s a kid’s movie through and through.  I like some of the names involved, but the movie itself is some damn boring and uninteresting for an adult male like me.  I may not be able to go to the movie theaters for the time being, but I’m still selective with what projects I want to see when it comes to spending my money.

I assume Trolls World Tour was successful enough.  Like the article said, it made nearly 100 million without movie theaters being involved.  That’s why Warner Brothers committed to keeping Scoob at its release date for VOD.  Now this was a film I had interest in.  Because I’ve always been a fan of Scooby-Doo.  I love this property with all of my heart.  I became a fan of mysteries due to this show.  This property and premise can be released in any decade and it will still be chalk full of fresh ideas.  Which is why its been rebooted so much for newer generations no matter how many missed steps.  Whether it be two bad live action movies or a Teen Titans Go inspired flash animation series, the Scooby-Doo property will always bounce back due to pure simplicity and endless amounts of goodwill built up over the years.

Keep that last sentence in mind throughout this review because this movie was infuriating to sit through.  To the point that maybe Trolls World Tour might have been a better movie to review instead.  Because say what you will about what I might have thought about that.  At least Trolls is not embarrassed about the history of its IP.  I can’t think of a movie more embarrassed of its IP’s origins than I have while watching Scoob.

Let me get the small amounts of positive out of the way now.  I did like that this movie in essence is about the friendship between a man and his dog.  As someone who is such a dog person, I fully agree with the message of this movie.  Dogs have helped me throughout my life for emotional support and I was very attached to every dog I’ve had in my life because they are comforting and have eternal love to share that makes my heart melt.  Scoob absolutely conveyed that message not just with Shaggy and Scooby, but Blue Falcon and his dog Dynomutt, as well as Dick Dastardly and his dog Muttley.  Also, the movie got a few chuckles out of me.   There are some clever jokes in there when it is not hamfisting you with so many pop culture references.  More on that later.  And Will Forte was a serviceable Shaggy.  He proved me wrong because I was absolutely skeptical when Matthew Lillard was right there for hire.  There’s a reason why Casey Kasam gave him the Shaggy seal of approval.  Oh and Frank Welker (forever so many roles, obviously Scooby in this) is a timeless voice acting treasure who should be preserved for all eternity.

Okay...gloves off.  Scoob is not a true Scooby-Doo movie.  It touches upon the bare minimum to technically call itself a Scooby-Doo movie.  Shaggy meets Scooby.  Those two meet Fred, Daphne, and Velma.  They solve one mystery as kids.  And that’s it.  The rest of this movie is basically anything but a true Scooby-Doo movie.  It basically becomes a superhero action movie chalk full of those clichés with the gang separating and a giant portal in the sky from the bad guy.  And just like a superhero movie…and all the other big blockbusters out there now, it is a building block movie for a cinematic extended universe.  This time, it’s the Hanna-Barbera Cinematic Universe.  Which honestly, I like the idea of that in premise.  There are so many great Hanna-Barbera cartoons out there that I can see building up to a Wacky Races team up film or something along those lines.  I’m all for this idea if they execute it correctly.  And I guess they execute this idea more naturally in this movie with introducing Blue Falcon as an idol for Shaggy and Scooby and having Dick Dastardly as the villain naturally than say Warner Brothers did with the DCEU or 2017’s The Mummy did with Dark Universe. 

But say what you will about DC or Dark, at least I still got a sense that they weren’t ashamed of their origins.  Part of what makes Scooby-Doo so timeless is its self-awareness of the time period it started off in.  When A Pup Named Scooby-Doo came out in the 80s, at least it was aware of what time period it was supposed to be set in with its origins of the Mystery Inc. gang.  I have no idea when Scoob was supposed to start off in.  When they first introduce us to Shaggy, this guy plays “California Luv” from his boombox to make you think its in the 90s.  But then Shaggy pulls out his smartphone and it leaves you scratching your head some more.  Also when the Mystery Inc gang goes trick or treating, Daphne is dressed as 2017 Wonder Woman.  At least commit to your new timeline for this property.  Jesus.

And then we get to the present, where the stupidest of things happens to get the gang to split up.  I’ll give you guys a slight hint.  A certain pop culture reference appears as himself and pop culture references the gang to split up.  This pop culture reference is so fucking dated at this point in time.  It was getting old in 2002 and nearly twenty years after its peak of relevance its getting tired and dated.  All these pop culture references are so fucking tired and dated.  I could make an entire review of how many pop culture references this movie makes.  From the obvious references from the trailer like a dabbing Blue Falcon to dedicating an entire minute to a not funny joke about borrowing someone’s Netflix login information. 

And speaking of tired, let’s talk about the rest of the Mystery Inc gang.  It feels like Fred, Daphne, and Velma are in this movie for like ten to fifteen minutes tops.  And they got some pretty recognizable names to voice these three characters (Zac Efron, Amanda Seyfried, and Gina Rodriguez respectively).  I can’t even judge how all three of these did as their characters really because the sole purpose of these three in this movie is to figure out where Shaggy and Scooby are.  I sure hope they got paid well for doing so little.  In comparison to Mark Wahlberg who voices the Blue Falcon who probably got paid too much because he’s Mark Wahlberg, the biggest name tied to this movie.  And I guess he did fine with how over the top his character is to an annoying degree.

But at the end of the day, all the bad pop culture references and superhero blockbuster plots can’t mask the fact that Warner Brothers was ashamed to make a true Scooby-Doo movie.  Say what you will about those live-action movies.  At least they weren’t ashamed of where the IP came from.  It made plenty of good callbacks to its origins, no matter how bad the results ended up.  And one of the best reviewed movies of 2019 was a mystery movie.  So there is still a market for those.  Hell, an animated mystery movie based off of Scooby-Doo would be huge in this day and age.  If there was a box office, it would make hundreds of millions.  Not to say Scoob wouldn’t do that too.  It still would in this day and age.  But this property deserved better people making a true Scooby-Doo movie.  One that would be everything this IP represented.  Not what we got.

What's my final grade for this misfire?  How about a Scooby Dooby D

And that might honestly be too generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment