Sunday, April 25, 2021

Billboard Chart Rankings: Spring 2021

I was willing to wait a little while longer to do this, but you know what?  Fuck it, why not.  There are only five returning songs from the last time I did this two months ago.  All the more reason to do it.  But I ask this question.  Should I still keep doing these?



I mean this idea is really starting to get tired and dated.  I’ll keep doing them as long as you all keep reading them, but eventually something needs to change with this quarterly blog post because I feel like it gives too much away when it comes to my best and worst of the year list.  As well as with the pandemic making the charts fairly stagnant fairly often, there are a lot of songs that just linger in the top twenty much longer than they have any need to.  Let’s be honest, “Mood” by 24kGoldn (featuring iann dior) is not THAT interesting of a song, yet this will be the fourth time I talk about it on my blog.  Do you guys see where I’m coming from?

And honestly, stagnant is my feeling for how 2021 is going as a chart year.  I don’t think the music of this year is that bad to be honest with you all?  I still like a lot of the hits we are getting and streaming is really helping shape the music industry by letting the quality rise to the top through listener selection.  And based off the hits that are sticking around, it feels like the popular genre of the moment is R&B.  This is probably going to be the biggest R&B music year the charts have had in about twenty years and with the quality that we’ve been getting, I’m all for it.  But I feel like we are still stagnant in the terms of the pandemic not letting certain songs die on the radio and with all of the news in the world, music rightfully doesn’t seem to be that important in the cultural zeitgeist.  Hopefully that will change in the not too distant future, but we’ll have to wait and see how the world plays out per usual.

So let’s see what this week’s top twenty has brought to us and see what the music listening public has chosen for us today using this week’s Billboard top twenty.

 






THE 2021 SPRING BILLBOARD HOT 100 TOP 20 RANKED








 

THE TERRIBLE TIER



Justin Bieber is the worst popstar working today…..what?  Wait what is this?  You guys are telling me that his latest single is actually good?  And that I’m just using my justified hatred of one Justice Bieber to beat a dead horse into the ground?  Well I’ll be the judge of that…

…yeah it’s not terrible.  So let’s just pretend that segway never happened and move on to…

 





THE BAD TIER



Look.  I’m not one to be afraid to admit that I don’t get something.  And if I don’t get something, that doesn’t equate to me immediately hating it.  But seriously guys, I do not get this:


“Beat Box” – SpotemGottem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8RHstfrI4


I don’t get why this chirping little idiot has one of the biggest songs in the country right now.  I don’t get why there are like five different versions of this song with one being released today, the day I started writing this transcript.  Lil Nas X really changed the industry with all these remix stat pads.  And that doesn’t include many other rappers releasing different freestyles to this beat.  It’s not even that impressive of a beat!  I’m really trying to see where the appeal is in this song so I kid you not when I say this, but I checked out every single remix and even a couple of the freestyles (I’m not crazy enough to check out ALL of the freestyles).  And I do admit, I did like DaBaby’s remix but that’s because DaBaby can hop on that sort of beat with ease.  And the Pooh Shiesty one was alright, more on him later.

But you know what the worst part of every one of these remixes and freestyles?  The lead artist himself, and the latest challenger emerging for stupidest stage name, SpotemGottem.  I wouldn’t be surprised if this guy never gets a Wikipedia page because he’s that untalented.  His flow sucks, his bars are trash, and he just doesn’t have any presence as a rapper.  And maybe it is because I had my hopes up that there would be actual “beatboxing” on this song, but the chorus doesn’t make a lick of sense.  I actually do like “beatboxing” and I really hope someday that does make a comeback of some sort, but not because of this incredibly stupid first draft of a song that has somehow blown up.

Please someone explain the appeal of this to me and don’t tell me TikTok because that’s too easy of a reason.  Everything gets popular on TikTok.

 

 


I swear to god Gabby Barrett needs to fire somebody from her production team.


“The Good Ones” – Gabby Barrett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7GVjg3TV4


I’m not joking.  Every single song of hers that I’ve heard has absolutely terrible production choices.  And while I thought they made sense in “I Hope”, I can absolutely see why anybody would hate it on there.  It makes an already ugly song, even uglier.  But enough talking about “I Hope”.  Especially the god awful remix (another reason to fire someone from her production team).  It’s been discussed enough.  Seriously, talk about a song that I’ve talked about one too many times on this blog.

So this is her big follow-up and the production choices are immediately the problem from the opening note.  That synth buzz sounds like a dying vulture.  Who the fuck thought that would be a good idea to blast all over the fucking song?  Especially on your soaring love ballad.

The content otherwise is mediocre as well.  I guess it is nice to hear Gabby taking a complete 180 from her big hit and talk about how good her husband is.  Which you know, it is good for your artistic growth to prove that you aren’t going to be a one-trick pony.  But then you realize just by simply doing a Google search on Gabby’s husband and learn that he is a transphobic bigot who is just as much of a Trump supporting evangelist like his wife. 

And you know what, I’m not going to hold that against the song’s quality.  Because I just simply removed the artist from the art.  I’m not going to judge this song solely based on Gabby and her husband being terrible people.  Not everyone shares the same beliefs and if you wanted to really dig through the rabbit hole, you’d find a lot of these artists have skeletons in their closet or shared separate viewpoints from you.  I mean two years ago, Lil Uzi Vert pretty much declared himself a transphobe two years ago in one of his singles, but I know a lot of people who immediately pushed that aside because “Eternal Atake album of the year, fam”.

What I am going to hold against this song’s quality are the god awful production choices.  I was planning on placing this in the mediocre tier, but the more I hear those synths, the more I hate it enough to leave it in the bad tier.  If she keeps choosing to make her songs literally sound this terrible, then good luck maintaining a successful career.

 


 





THE MEDIOCRE TIER




“Back in Blood” – Pooh Shiesty (featuring Lil Durk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Tm65i96TY


I honestly haven’t listened to this one all the way through yet up until this point.  Which is weird because my streaming playlists CONSTANTLY recommend this to me.  And whenever I start trying to listen to it, I just start laughing because the guy’s name is “Pooh Shiesty”.  Add him to my ever-growing list of the worst stage names working today.  Really hard to take him seriously especially with this clichéd song about robbing and shooting people. 

Honestly, I don’t think this song would be a thing if it wasn’t for Lil Durk.  Who I’ve really grown fond of over the last couple months.  He’s clearly going to be a big name real soon with all the momentum he has been gaining on the charts the last six months or so.  And Lil Durk really outshines Pooh Shiesty by a considerably large amount with his tighter lyrics and he simply just has a lot more energy.  Compare that to Pooh who just sounds like his name…now that I got that easy joke out of the way; Pooh really just sounds like a low-rent Gucci Mane.  And really, do we need another Gucci Mane in 2021?  Let’s be honest, we don’t.

 



“Astronaut in the Ocean” – Masked Wolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEg-oqI9qmw


That is one insanely catchy chorus.  I don’t think we’ve had a pop-rap song like this since…I don’t know, NF?  You guys all remember him, right?  The Christian rapper that everyone forgot who had that one big hit in 2018?  Funny that I bring him up because with the amount of lines about God in this song, it makes me wonder if the relatively unknown Masked Wolf is also a devout Christian?  Like seriously, I can’t find anything on this guy except he’s from Australia.  Cool, another white Australian rapper.  Guess we needed another one of those since Iggy Azalea’s career has been dead for like six years now.

But yeah, I like the chorus.  The rest of these lyrics are absolutely lame though:

I believe in G-O-D
Don’t believe in T-H-O-T

Very lame:

Let me elevate, this ain’t a prank
Have you walkin’ on a plank, la-la-la-la

Vvvvveeeeeerrrrrryyyyy lllllaaammmeee:

Energy up, you can feel my surge
I’ma kill everything like this purge (ayy)

Yeah, way to read the room guy.  Thousands of people are dying across the world every day because of “this purge”.  I swear to god this guy’s bars were inspired by dad-joke Eminem.  Chorus is still insanely catchy though.

 


“Mood” – 24kGoldn (featuring iann dior)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrAchTdepsU


Man I’ve taken a journey with this song.  Part of me still kind of likes parts of this song and maybe it should still be in the decent tier.  But I’ve really grown tired of it just for how long it has stuck around.  I really hate using this phrase, but fuck it.  It rings true for this song.  Its success is overrated.

I was touring Talk of the Charts fully operated website for the first time.  Seriously Billboard, you’re getting beaten to on your own statistics by a fucking Twitter account that now has its own webpage?  They have an up to date section for Billboard’s Greatest of All-Time List.  “Mood” by 24kGoldn is as of this writing, is the 44th biggest song of all-time.  Who knows, by the time its chart run is over, it could possibly be in the top twenty or top ten.  This song….are you fucking kidding me?  This is capitalizing on a weak playing field at its finest and Billboard really should add some sort of pandemic clause or recalibrate its statistics or something because this doesn’t feel right to me.  I refuse to believe this stupid juvenile song about being in a bad mood is that influential of a pop song.

I still stand by the trends this song represents when it comes to helping bring actual rock music influences into the mainstream the same way I do with Post Malone, MGK, etc.  But let’s be honest.  As a song, this is really a simple little nothing of a song that is disposable.

 


“What You Know Bout Love” – Pop Smoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuodbSVO3z0


A little more than I give myself credit for if we are being honest.  I’m actually growing fairly tired of this one too.  This is a TikTok powered song that has overstayed its welcome as well.  Still probably the best single from that posthumous album so far, but this is no “Dior”, which keeps getting better and better the more posthumous music we get from Pop Smoke’s label.

 


“Best Friend” – Saweetie & Doja Cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xJUCsyMQes


I’m actually kind of impressed by how damn stupid this song is.  It feels like it was imported straight out of the club boom era from over ten years ago.  Which makes sense for Saweetie, who has made it her thing to sample recognizable songs out of the mid to late 2000’s songs.  And she’s brought along Doja Cat, which means…

(looks at Wikipedia page)

….yep, there he is.  Dr. Luke produced and wrote this.  I swear Doja really needs to stop giving this fucker his career back.

By all accounts this is a bad song, but I can’t help it.  This is stupid to almost the same degree as I thought that AJR song was from a few months ago.  Key word: almost.  Dr. Luke’s involvement almost makes this song too polished to be that degree of gloriously stupid though.

Radio fluff at its finest.  Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up becoming a stable for female buddy comedies in the future when movie theaters reopen and we get more and more new trailers.  It's that interchangeable.

 




 

THE DECENT TIER




Speaking of Doja Cat and Dr. Luke,


“Kiss Me More” – Doja Cat (featuring SZA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EVVKs6DQLo


Dr. Luke’s involvement with this is minimal believe it or not, with only a writing credit.  But you can definitely still tell his influence is on this song.  And look guys, I know I bash on Dr. Luke aplenty on this blog because he seriously is one of the most terrible people in the music industry.  But just because he is such a terrible human being doesn’t mean he’s not talented.  I give him all the credit in the world for making some of the best pop music of the last twenty years.

So about the song itself, it’s decent enough I guess.  At first, I thought this was limp and lifeless and just a carbon copy of Doja’s huge hit from last year “Say So”.  But I’ve checked it out a few more times since then and yeah I’m starting to slowly get the appeal.  Just like “Say So” it has the same smooth sultry vibe that is infectious as hell.  It feels like it has been awhile since we’ve had a pop song specifically about embracing kissing over anything else.  And you know what?  Kissing is pretty sexy too.

That being said, the one thing I am absolutely getting tired of in pop music lately is the interpolation of “Physical” by Olivia Newton-John.  I mean this is like what, the third time this has been done in a year?  Can we seriously find another 80s pop song to interpolate?  I also feel like SZA could have done so much more on this too.  Her one verse doesn’t last nearly long enough.

But yeah, I need some more time on this one before I really develop a real thought, but its trending upward. 

 


“Rapstar” – Polo G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2IhccXakkE


So this is our new number one.  I guess it only makes sense with all the huge hits we’ve gotten the last couple years about being “rockstars” and “popstars” that we finally have a hit about being a “rapstar”…too bad it sounds dreary as fuck.  Which also makes sense because it matches the cultural zeitgeist really well.  And I’ll give the song this too.  It’s refreshing to hear a rapper talk about how the money, drugs, bitches, etc. don’t make him content and that he doesn’t have a sense of peace.  There’s a vague sense of triumph amongst going through all the normal clichés. 

I think I need a few more listens to really get this, just like I do with “Kiss Me More” to really collect my thoughts on this.  I am happy for Polo G though.  He seems to be proving to be more than just the guy who had that one hit a few years ago with “Pop Out”.  Another dreary song about going through all the normal clichés when it comes to party songs….wait is this going to be his thing now?  Yeah I need more time with this one…



 

…speaking of “Pop Out”, here’s the other guy from that song.


“Calling My Phone” – Lil Tjay (featuring 6lack)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzd4ydafGR0


Honestly am surprised that the “Pop Out” guys are having sustainable careers and are some of the new major rap names going forward.  The one that I’m more surprised by is Lil Tjay.  Mostly because Polo G released a great album last year and all I’ve seen Lil Tjay do since then is pop up on multiple features since then.  Most notably one of Pop Smoke’s hits from last year “Mood Swings”, which I’ll be honest, was a contender for my Worst List last year.  I just don’t want to hear two guys really getting ultra-specific about the kind of sex they’re going to have with their girls; while also being just so dreary and bored by it.  What a turn on.

But honestly, this song is a lot better than I was expecting.  This song dives into Lil Tjay coming to grasps with a messy relationship coming to an end.  And I think this shouldn’t come as a surprise to you guys since I just talked about songs with this subject matter on my best lists multiple times, but I love songs like this.  Really tugs back at some of my own personal memories.  And 6lack holds down the hook very well too.  Was genuinely surprised by this being pretty good…

…too bad all that goodwill goes to waste in the chorus with those chipmunk vocals.  WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?  If it wasn’t for Gabby Barrett’s production choices from before, this would be the most baffling production choice from this whole top twenty list.  And it takes up a good portion of the song too.  Thanks!  I hate it!

Such a shame, this could have been a tier higher if it wasn’t for that infuriating decision.

 


 

And speaking of infuriating decisions…


“Montero (Call Me By Your Name)” – Lil Nas X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swmTBVI83k


Talk about trying to strike lightning twice with controversy.  And to an extent…it has worked, but it also hasn’t at the same time.

Yes, I think the controversy surrounding the music video for this song has blown incredibly out of proportion.  Lil Nas X is not promoting satanic worship.  Calm the hell down evangelists, but at the same time though, he does have a point.  With gay people constantly getting ostracized by Christians for their lifestyle choices, are you surprised that he doesn’t have a point when it comes to not believing in God?  I really don’t want to dive deep down the rabbit hole when it comes to this argument because I just think it is conservative news networks overblowing things out of proportion again for shock value.

But speaking of shock value, Lil Nas X lying about streaming services taking down his song in order to boost streams is pathetic.  Lil Nas X’s team not crediting FKA Twigs for certain shots from her video about a year ago is also pathetic.  Lil Nas X once again releasing a half-finished song not even close to sniffing the three minute mark again is pathetic.  That’s starting to become his thing if it hasn’t been obvious already.   The outrage around this song is just pathetic.

It’s a shame though that I don’t like this more because the groundwork is there for a good song.  Just like there is with all Lil Nas X’s hits.  They all have catchy ideas, choruses, instrumentation, etc.  They just have that one piece missing.  It took Billy Ray Cyrus to make “Old Town Road” sound like a complete song.  So maybe we just need a remix to help fill in that missing void for “Montero” to really have it all click for me like it did with “Old Town Road”.  It’ll probably come soon enough knowing Lil Nas X’s track record.

 


“Save Your Tears” – The Weeknd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYlFuWEuKI


Yet another leftover from the winter charts that has shrunk on me.  I said in that post that this is different enough to stand on its own merits.  It does not.  Like what part was I even talking about?  I can’t even name a single part of this that doesn’t remind me of other 80s inspired pop that The Weeknd hasn’t already done better.  And that’s not even including the GOAT in the room….”In Your Eyes”.  Seriously, The Weeknd has done so much 80s inspired pop that he does have it down to a science, like I said a few months ago.  And don’t get me wrong, this is still a good song.  I’ll gladly take as much retro pastiche like this because it still sounds good.  But it doesn’t really bring anything new to the table or really stand out in discography that includes hits like “Can’t Feel My Face” or that song from last year…what was it called again?  It’ll come back to me.

 



 


THE GOOD TIER



 

“Driver’s License” – Olivia Rodrigo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDBbnmKpqQ


In a top twenty ranking where a lot of songs have started to shrink since I talked about them last time, this one has only grown on me more and more.  I kept overanalyzing it due it to being such a huge force in the public conscious for two months, but instead of just thinking up reasons for its rousing success, I ruled out the most obvious suspect.  That it’s just a good song that resonates with a lot of people.  And you know what?  I can resonate with break-ups and attachments to certain milestones in my laugh time.  After all, I got stood up for my senior prom and went to go see Spider-Man 3 in my own self-pity and you know what?  I’ve never been to any sort of prom at all in my life.  One of the biggest high school milestones, never been…

RED LIGHTS.  STOP SIGNS.  I STILL SEE YOUR FACE IN THE WHITE CARS, FRONT YARDS!

 


“Up” – Cardi B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCiBgLOcuKU


This sure does slap, doesn’t it?  Almost to the point that it feels like it was made specifically to trend on TikTok.  Well it worked because it is still trending on TikTok as I write this.  I sure hope that’s not the direction Cardi has planned for that next album because this is like the third single in a row where she’s done that so this is clearly a trend.

That said, I still like this plenty.  These lines still hit and it’s still a hell of a lot of fun.  But this is no WAP.  When you have a song like WAP that is such a game changer; it’s kind of hard to achieve those same heights a second time.  So yeah, probably the most interchangeable Cardi song in her career, but honestly she doesn't have that many misses and even when its this predictable, it still is entertaining as fuck.  So yeah, no complaints from me.  Good song.

 



….so that new Justin Bieber song is actually pretty damn good, not gonna lie.


“Peaches” – Justin Bieber (featuring Daniel Caesar & Giveon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ0yjYUFKAE


Honestly, I can see this one being a grower the more it lingers around.  Because the elements I do like about this song, I like an awful lot.  Justin Bieber’s chorus is insanely catchy; although not the best time to be spotlighting Georgia in your music…just saying man; read the room.  Daniel Caesar and Giveon are two of the up and coming R&B stars who absolutely take advantage of their guest spots to showcase why they are so talented.  And that beat is infectious.  Like I honestly would just listen to the instrumental version of this song and be almost as satisfied.

Sadly, the one part of the song that I don’t like is Justin Bieber’s verse.  I mean it’s not awful by any stretch and trust me when I say that because Bieber has had a pretty fucking bad stretch of music for the past year or two.  But it’s simply a case of Bieber being completely outshined by the talent he has surrounded himself with.  Like I said earlier, his chorus is really good.  His verse, I couldn’t tell you a single thing about it that is distinct.  It is more or less the same I’m young and in love verse he’s been putting in his music forever now with not a single memorable moment.  Whenever I hear it, I just want to fast forward through those twenty seconds to get back to the chorus and move on to the guest stars.

But yeah, good job Bieber.  Keep releasing more songs like this and maybe you’ll dig yourself out of that hole.  What does that make him now?  One for fifteen?

 

 

“Ruff Ryders’ Anthem” – DMX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThlhSnRk21E


Rest in Peace man.  I definitely see why this was highest charting returning entry.  This song really developed a cult following after its initial run to become DMX’s defining hit.  But to me, my personal favorite DMX song will always be “X Gon Give It to Ya” followed closely by “Party Up”.  This would be flirting around the top five probably for my favorite DMX songs.  That said, I still like this a lot and its devastating that DMX’s life ended the way it did.  His legacy will last forever and he’s truly one of a kind when we look back on the impact his music left on the hip-hop genre.  We’ll never have another DMX, Rest In Power.

 





 

THE EXCELLENT TIER




“Leave the Door Open” – Silk Sonic (Bruno Mars & Anderson .Paak)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adLGHcj_fmA


Just when you thought Bruno Mars had no other forms of retro R&B left to remake for modern times, he decides to go back in time again but this time with Anderson .Paak.  It’s nice to see everyone fully embracing this song so quickly and so easily.  I’m a sucker for this sort of 1970s soulful hookup jams and this one manages to pay homage to that era pretty damn well.  Honestly this Silk Sonic pairing really is beneficial to both Bruno and Paak.  It is giving Paak the commercial success he’s been trying to find for some time now.  And it gives Bruno Mars some of his credibility back in terms of winning over that coveted indie crowd who thought he wasn’t evolving as an artist and just pandering for Grammys.  In a way, Bruno is still that.  But at least it sounds like he’s actually trying again and not just coming off as a Vegas showman reliving the classics.

 

 

With the stock market being in absolute chaos this year, I’m here to offer you some financial advice.  Invest in Olivia Rodrigo.  This girl is going to be a fucking superstar.


“Déjà Vu” –Olivia Rodrigo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cii6ruuycQA


While it did admittedly take a while for me to embrace Driver’s License, I got this one right away and fully admit to loving it right away as well.  The influences are absolutely there with Taylor Swift and Lorde because I could picture either of them doing a song like this and nailing it just like Olivia has with this.  From all the small details of her past relationship like watching Glee and listening to Billy Joel together to absolutely telling this guy that everything he is doing with his new girl is a sense of déjà vu because they did it first.  And you know what?  I absolutely buy it.  It is incredibly relatable as I’ve definitely in the past look at photos from exes going to places that we went to first or watching movie series that I introduced her to and think, “we did that first".

But yeah I love all those small intricate details that make this feel all the more personable.  Olivia has a real knack for painting a bigger picture at this young of an age and excellent storytelling.  I love every single choice and style this song goes for from the little musicbox in the background and even The Chainsmokers-esque drop in the chorus.  I’m telling you all now invest in this girl.  She’s going to become a big time player incredibly soon and with The House of Mouse backing her, she might become even bigger. 

 

 

 

“Levitating” – Dua Lipa (featuring DaBaby)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVcZfQe-Kw


Oh yeah, the other song from my last chart ranking that hasn’t soured on me the slightest bit.  Honestly, I keep finding more and more to love about it the more I listen to it.  As a matter of fact, I re-listened to Future Nostalgia for like the umpteenth time the other day.  When you’re able to add onto one of the greatest songs on that album with a DaBaby feature and it works just as well, that’s when you know you’ve got something really special here.  Seriously one of my favorite hits of this year and that second wind this song got from the Grammys made me all the more happier.  It’s rising even further up the charts now and while I doubt this will lead to it becoming a number one, a guy can only dream.

 

 

 

….and that’s the…wait a minute.  That’s only nineteen songs.  Which song am I miss-

 

“Blinding Lights” – The Weeknd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NRXx6U8ABQ


Oh yeah.  All hail our new GOAT.


THE GOAT TIER






So yeah that is the top twenty songs of this week.  Overall, I'd say this top twenty perfectly reflects how the charts are right now.  With more and more of the bigger names out there delaying their albums indefinitely until the world becomes more normal and they can tour and do the talk show circuits; the charts are being operated by names on the come up or current superstars trying to maintain their momentum.  And I think that is leading to a more interesting chart scene if I do say so myself.  Sure I'm missing Kendrick Lamar and Adele like everyone else, but if that leads to some more refreshing newer blood to keep things fresh than I'm all for starting the building blocks for some of the new big names for the 2020s like Dua Lipa and Olivia Rodrigo.  Can't wait to see where the charts go from here, even if it means changing up my format for these seasonal pop song rankings.

So what do you guys think?  Should this format change?  Should I try something a little more different when it comes to talking about the hits of the seasons?  Please let me know because as always, I want to keep these posts entertaining for my loyal readers out there.  Feel free to share whatever insight you can so I can continue to give you all some daily doses of ceratonin.  As always, thank you guys for stopping by.  Until next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment