Saturday, June 4, 2022

Review: Morbius

By the time you probably read this, this meme will officially be dead.  And Sony has no one to blame but themselves for killing it.





I've been begging for this meme to be dead for the past week.  It was all fun and games until Sony got their hands on it.




Isn't that how it always goes?  Once a corporation gets ahold of a meme, it becomes instantly dated.  And now Sony is trying to cash in on meme culture by thinking they can give this box office bomb some new life and they can fast track more-bius.  Now hang on for a second, that fact about corporate meme culture is not always tru-




-kill it with fire.


So you're probably thinking.  Am I feeding into the meme trend by reviewing this?  You actually paid to see this- of course I didn't.  Why would I actually give my hard earned money to a studio like Sony that is forcing this alternate Spidey cinematic universe that I absolutely despise?  I've been begging for Sony to stop ruining live-action Spider-Man movies for ten years now.  I mean the movies aren't always awful, but Sony is absolutely doing this to keep the rights for as long as they inhumanely can.  At the very least, I'm glad Kevin Feige is stepping in to right the main Spider-Man movies that tie into the MCU.  Because god forbid they allow Sony themselves further desecrate these comic book live-action movies into the ground.  But to answer my own initial question, I found the movie online and watched a copy of it.  Sony is one of the few studios out there that can't figure out how to stop their films from being pirated.

So what do I think of Morbius?  It's awful.  It's like we never left the 1990s/early 2000s trends for superhero films.  Just like the Venom films before it.  But at least the Venom movies have fun with their absurdly dumb movies.  Morbius is just...there.  It exists.  That Morbius and his super generic adventure with super generic twists and turns and terrible acting.

Okay real critical analysis insight Morbin time (I did the meme, happy?).  It feels like the director Daniel Espinosa was handed a couple comic books by Sony; telling him that this is Morbius and make a movie about him.  He probably skimmed through it and checked through all the traditional points and then just utilized a bunch of cliches while Sony spoon fed him how they want this property to tie into their own Spidey-verse plans.  The acting is awful from damn near everybody.  I can slightly defend Matt Smith for being over the top ridiculous to the point that it gets a slight chuckle out of me.  Jared Leto continues his insufferable character acting that he's been doing ever since he won that Oscar almost ten years ago.  And the writing is incredibly tepid and uninspired.

The main bright spot for me was that the memes used to be hilarious.  Key word: used to be.  For example:



Hysterical.



And this was right when the Will Smith slap memes were still fresh and early in their lifespan too.


Look I enjoyed the meme for quite awhile too guys.  But if there was one thing that I saw a few weeks ago that rang absolutely true...it was this one:





I saw this one a few weeks ago and good lord was this ever so timely.  Because not too long after that was when Sony started to promote the meme to their own advantage:




Number one movie on the Apple TV app...not even Apple+, but Apple's outdated app for their TV service...and a new Marvel legend.

It was at that point, the meme started to become forced and I started to find everything tied to this less and less funny.  They couldn't just let this be the Sonic 06 of film and call it a day.  Nope.  Sony will continue to try and get every last cent out of their forced Spidey universe so they can profit off of it and never fully send the rights back to Marvel Studios.  Which for the record, I'm not for one studio to monopolize the business the way Disney has with getting all these properties.  But in Sony's case?  No, give it to the Mouse House.

That's why I'm writing this kind-of sort-of review.  Not to intentionally be a buzzkill, but to tell everyone that Morbius is really not the kind of bad movie that's worth peaking anyone's interest.


Final Grade: D



No comments:

Post a Comment