Monday, October 19, 2015

Music Talk: Random Thoughts




So for my first blog entry, I'm going to share this segment called Music Talk.  This will be a weekly set up where I talk about either a subject matter I feel needs some of my insight....or like today, just some random thoughts I've been having about certain artists, songs, etc.  So with that in mind, I would like to give my insight on the following:

-The charts have been stagnant for three weeks now.  We've had the same ten songs in the Top 10 and although I feel like this is the calm before the storm that is November, with Hurricane Adele and other big albums coming from big artists and a bunch of new singles dropping from big names like Ariana Grande.

-Does anyone else feel like Downtown is somewhat of a flop?  I thought for sure this would be in the Top 10 by now and while it still has an outside chance of making it with Can't Feel My Face, Good For You, and hopefully Watch Me dropping out of the Top 10 sooner or later, I can't help but feel like Macklemore & Ryan Lewis were expecting this to be bigger.

-I think it's hilarious that Hit the Quan has now charted higher than any actual song by or featuring Rich Homie Quan.  Song still sucks though just like all of these Vine rap novelty hits we've been getting from 2015.

-Speaking of novelty hits from 2015, I think we have had one too many of them this year.  Not sure if that is a good or bad reflection of 2015 as a whole in music because while this year has been an improvement over the year before, it's also been far more stagnant which allows these cheap novelty hits to chart so high like Coco, Watch Me, Nasty Freestyle, Hit the Quan, etc.

-And while we're on the novelty Vine rap pool, White Iverson is going to be the next novelty hit we unfortunately allowed to become a hit song.  Mark my words.

-Taylor Swift better not be serious about this talk of a long hiatus from making music.  She's the biggest music star right now and is one of the few pop artists that actually matter anymore.  We need Taylor Swift whether you want to accept it or not.

-The Hills has been number one for five weeks now and counting.  But it's reign comes to an end next Monday.  With the release of the Hotline Bling music video (finally) tonight, Drake will finally have his first number one solo Hot 100 hit next week.  It's topping sales, topping streaming, and keeps growing on radio.  All it was missing was YouTube and now that it will finally have an actual presence instead of god knows how many covers of it by actual artists (Sam Smith, Alessia Cara, etc.).

-Speaking of Sam Smith, I know that one of these days he'll actually have a Bond theme that will be amazing, but right now, his new Bond theme is like most of his music at the moment.  Technically sound, but lacking any sort of passion.

-I hope that the longer Katy Perry is away, the more time and effort she is putting into making a good album.  Prism was not good.  Not at all.  She's still capable of being a huge guilty pleasure.

- I'm almost convinced Imagine Dragons will never make an album as good as Night Visions ever again.  When their most recent stuff sounds exactly like their worst song off of Night Visions (Demons), that's not a good sign.

-Out of the pool of 2008 Disney pop stars, Demi Lovato was by far the least interesting of them.  She had a good voice, but had absolutely no personality in her music that she was just another singer.  Seven years later, I think Demi has finally made her music reflect her personality and her songs are 10x better now because of it.

-To continue on with that last thought, Selena Gomez is now the one who is not letting her music reflect her personality.  Everything she has done this year just sounds boring and while she has technically improved as a singer, I'm not a fan of anything I've heard off of Revival so far because it sounds like a functioning product without the passion.

-Meanwhile, Miley Cyrus's free EP was free for a reason.  I have no clue how much longer she's going to keep doing this wild party girl act, but her next actual studio album better be a vast improvement over that god awful EP because she's going to flame out quickly if she doesn't evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment