Monday, November 9, 2015

Music Talk: Predictions For The Year End Hot 100 of 2015

December is one of my favorite months.

Not just because of Christmas and everyone showing holiday cheer.  It's also due to the year end listings.  I love reading and watching critics countdown their favorites/least favorites of this past year for the medium of entertainment.  It's always interesting to see what others think when it comes to their choices and why.  I've been doing this myself for the past four years on social media and internet forums myself.  So we are nearly a month away from Billboard posting it's year end Hot 100 listing and that's what I like to use as my source material when it comes to my song countdowns of the year.  I've been speculating for months as to what will or won't end up on here and while I have a pretty good idea on some aspects, I'm going to go ahead and share some of them with my readers tonight.  Plus I had a late day at work and instead of completely brainstorming a topic for hours, I just went for an easy thought piece instead.

-Without a doubt, Uptown Funk will be Billboard's number one hit song of 2015.  It almost broke the longest chart reign record, has been in the Top 40 for nearly a year already, and all signs point to it securing number one pretty handily.

-Number two will be where it gets interesting.  After thinking about all the possible choices, I think it will be one of these three: Thinking Out Loud, Blank Space, and See You Again.  Thinking Out Loud due to it being number two for nearly three months during Uptown Funk's winter and spring domination.  Blank Space because we can't count out that this was number one for nearly eight weeks before 2015 became the Uptown Funk special.  Then of course we had See You Again which was number one for only two weeks less than Uptown Funk at a total of twelve weeks.  That's what I personally think will end up as number two, but without a doubt this will be interesting.

-I think a surprise entry in the year end Top 10 will be Watch Me by Silento.  While it never reached number one (thank god), we can't deny the fact that this was in the Top 10, hell I think the Top 5 for nearly six months.  Why America decided to let this last that long is beyond me.

-For the first time in seven years, we won't have a Katy Perry song in the Year End Hot 100.  Let that sink in for a minute because that's one of the biggest pop stars of the past decade who has been completely absent from this picture.

-Due to the many weeks and months of stagnancy, it wouldn't surprise me if we had entries onto the year end list that didn't even reach the Top 20 just like we did in 2014.

-It will be interesting to see who is featured most on this list this year.  It will definitely be between Taylor Swift (she'll have 5) and Meghan Trainor (4...possibly 5 if Marvin Gaye makes it on there).  If I could make a prediction though, despite his massive amount of output this year, Drake won't have nearly as many hits on there as people think he will.  I'm going to guess 2...maybe 3 if one of his mixtape collaborations with Future sneaks on there, but I doubt it.

-Of course we'll have the amounts of 2014 backwash that didn't go away as fast as we wanted it to.  If you want to be specific, I couldn't care less about what songs they were, so I'll just say that anything that charted in the Top 10 from September 2014 onward has as good a shot as anything else to make it.

-I already have a few locked best list choices, but the worst list is a little trickier.  Usually the worst list is the easiest for me to come up with.  That being said,  I have at least three locks, but everything else is honestly fair game.

-My last prediction?  Number 100.  The one that I take a complete total guess on.  And my prediction is the number 100 spot will go to...and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if I was either right or wrong because of unpredictability, "Flex" by Rich Homie Quan.  Because I think it lasted long enough in the 20s region past 20 weeks to sneak on there.

Of course these are all predictions.  I don't expect to get all of these right, especially that last one.  But I can't help the speculation.  I'm beyond excited that I can start charting my annual best/worst lists.  For sure I will definitely be sharing them all with you guys.

And speaking of sharing, I get to share my first official movie review on this blog with you all.  Coming tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment