Sunday, November 15, 2015

"Sorry" - Justin Bieber


So I don't know if you guys heard but Justin Bieber is back.



After taking some time away from the spotlight...and by that I mean cleaning up his bad boy persona, he is back and apparently bigger than ever.  So let's figure out how....

....seriously how.  Because 2013 and 2014 we learned a lot about Justin Bieber that I wish I didn't know.  Because before then, when I thought about Justin Bieber, I thought of this:


Yeah feels like just yesterday when Justin Bieber use to be considered the worst thing ever because of the fact that he was a little kid singing about subject matters that were way too hilarious to be taken seriously.  But yeah after 2013 and 2014, when I heard of Justin Bieber, I would think about this:


Granted this news story took place in 2014, but it was the cream of the crop of the fall from Justin Bieber has taken.  That's not all he did that got him in trouble.  Drunken tirades, pissing in mop buckets, egging neighbor's, destroying property, making controversial comments about Anne Frank, seen going to brothels, getting pulled over in tour buses multiple times for illegal drugs.  Guys, if Justin Bieber wanted to stop being viewed as a child star, that sure worked because around this time period, I viewed Justin Bieber's recent behavior as thug-like.  All of this bad PR was near career suicide if you ask me.  But nope.  If I learned anything from the Chris Brown's despicable actions towards Rihanna back in 2009, people are more than willing to give you a second chance despite being a total tool of a person.  Plus, unlike Chris Brown, it seems like Justin Bieber is actually trying to clean up his image.

But I can sit here and talk about Justin Bieber the person for awhile.  Plus it will run me dry of material for next week's song review since I'm all but certain I'll be reviewing his other big hit right now "What Do You Mean" next week anyway with the new album release this past Friday.  So let's talk about his present big hit "Sorry".


Yeah with the amount of times Justin Bieber apologizes in this song, I can't help but think of the BP president apologizing over the top ridiculously in South Park.  You're welcome by the way, if that sticks with you now too reader.

As for the song itself, I can get behind the production.  Justin Bieber isn't the only one who is trying to evolve the older he gets.  Skrillex seems to actually be maturing his music too this year which is helping a lot.  Long gone are the days where Skrillex tries to rape your ear drums with over the top monstrosities in terms of production:


New Skrillex seems to be toning it down a bit and not letting the production overpower the song and it makes the production here for Sorry really catchy.  Like I can definitely get behind this Skrillex because the blending of the horns and the percussion just works so well.

It's just a shame that the really good production is wasted with the presence of one Justin Bieber.  Because if I am noticing a recurring theme with Justin Bieber songs this year, they are really pissy.  Yes Justin Bieber keeps asking if it's too late for him to say he's sorry, but then he throws in his fair share of complaints about how she's gotta go and get angry at all of his honesty.  Since when did Justin Bieber start evolving into such an angsty little prick?  What do you mean?  Where are you now that I need ya?  Has Justin Bieber been heavily influenced by the nu-metal fad of 2000's rock music because if I didn't know any better, Justin Bieber is evolving into Chester Bennington of Linkin Park except I actually like Linkin Park.  If I hear Justin Bieber scream dddrrrooowwnnniiinnnggg innn myyy tteeeaarrrss, my day will be made.

But it won't be made on here because I don't like Justin Bieber's part of Sorry.  The fact that he's trying to lessen and deflect the blame completely undercuts his own song.  Not to mention the fact that Justin Bieber really doesn't sound sorry to begin with.  If you want to sound sincerely sorry and make a dance pop song that's fine.  But actually sound like you mean it.  Otherwise, you'll be coming off more like Jason DeRulo and less like Usher.  And that comparison isn't a compliment for the record since I absolutely loathe Jason DeRulo as an artist.

So yeah, sorry Justin.  I don't accept this apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment