Sunday, November 1, 2015

"Hotline Bling" - Drake



So yeah...how about that new number one hit Hotline...what are you telling me internet?  You mean Drake does not have a number one hit?  You mean despite all the publicity that music video got, it's not number one?  You mean Drake's wish was not granted?  Isn't there always next week?  What?  You mean Adele is pretty much a lock to be number one for pretty much the next month?  Wow....talked about a failed opportunity.  I don't know who's fault it was whether it be Birdman mismanaging Drake and not telling him that Apple Music streaming doesn't count towards the Billboard charts or whether it be not even releasing to YouTube fast enough, but Drake screwed up his chance at finally reaching number one.  Terribly.  Good luck on your future chances there Drake.  Hope you see why Cash Money is a sinking ship management wise.

But despite his failing at politicking, Drake has had a pretty solid year so far.  He has the only one million plus selling record of 2015 (so far), he's dominated the rap genre like few others have lately, and he's just on absolute fire.  Sure he's reaching dangerous levels of over-releasing new music, but his quality....yeah the quality isn't nearly as strong as it's been in past years.  Part of me does think that's due to trying to release way too much at once, but it's not like he's released anything too terrible.  Sure he's guest spotted on some pretty wretched songs like Tuesday, but Drake's parts weren't that bad.  Not his fault that the artists he collaborates with aren't up to his level right now.

That being said, easily his biggest hit of 2015 is without a doubt Hotline Bling.  How in the hell can a song with a title that corny be one of Drake's biggest hits of his career, let alone of 2015.  It may not be his best this year (his diss track to Meek Mill, "Back to Back" is fantastic), but it's easy to see why it's his most popular.  When Drake gets his R&B on, the room for crossover appeal is limitless.  So what is Drake swooning about this time?  It's about...oh who am I kidding?  What are all Drake R&B songs about?  Wanting to hit up a late night booty call....or at least all they are about lately:


Hell it was just two years ago this was popular and while the production on this was great, Drake was at his most uninspiring here.  Listening to him talk about how this girl is a good girl and she knows it just came off as incredibly insulting and telling her just hold on we're going home sounds like he is talking to a child instead of a sexual conquest.  I got so sick of this quickly....but wait Bobby.  You just said Drake is doing the same thing here and dealing with the same subject matter.  Well yeah.  You are right internet reader.  Hell, he even reuses the "good girl" line here too.  So does that mean I hate this?  Actually no, I like this.  I like this a lot more than I should.  Because of one key reason.

Drake actually sounds like he cares about this.  A lot.

Sure he sounds more monotone than usually in this and doesn't really sing as much as he does in past R&B crossover hits, but actually reading the lyrics for this tells a story.  This girl used to call Drake on his cellphone and ever since Drake left Toronto, she's been seeing other guys and Drake actually sounds like he cares about this girl....a lot.  I actually took the time to read about the inspiration behind this song and it's about a former girl he use to have an on again, off again relationship with for many years.  As a guy who has had his fair share of relationships crumble and wonder how someone he use to have deep feelings for is whenever he sees pictures of her online, I can't help but wonder myself and reminisce.  Sure I may not get that...."hotline bling"...god I feel stupid even saying that...but I can totally respect where Drake is coming from.  I understand completely.  I don't see how this is "trolling" like internet critics I follow say it is.  Maybe I'm oblivious, but the fact that Drake actually put effort into this song compared to the one above makes me appreciate this a lot.

Also while I know everyone is not a fan of the production, I dig it.  It samples Timmy Thomas's
Why Can't We Live Together" and mixes in the Cha-Cha to just create an addicting earworm that as soon as I hear it, it gnaws away like an ear piranha that I can't get it out of my head....and now my mind thanks to the music video.  It matches the tone of this song perfectly and it's the rare instance that Drakes does have the production work that matches his music.  Btw for the record, as fun as it is to mock the music video and as much as I enjoy all the parodies of it, I like it for the fact that it's memorable.  Something that I appreciate from my music videos.

But it's not all positive here.  I have to admit the bridge is pretty weak.

Doing things I taught you, gettin' nasty for someone else
You don't need no one else
You don't need nobody else, no
Why you never alone
Why you always touching road
Used to always stay at home, be a good girl
You was in the zone, yeah

Drake you made it clear that you have had other flings too.  Of course she's going to get some from other people.  She's only human and has the same sexual cravings you do.  What she does in her down time is absolutely none of your business no matter how much you wish she doesn't.  Also, just in general, even though I like this, Drake has done this sort of song much better four years ago when Drake's quality had more effort put into it.

So yeah, despite the minor nitpick here and there, I actually am willing to stick up for this.  It's a good song, even if it's Drake's B game.  His B game is better than his competitors to be honest because Drake actually has a personality.  It's a shame that this won't hit number one for the forseeable future, if not at all.  That shouldn't reflect that this is actual quality which is all I ask for from Aubrey.  Look at it this way though, at least the Drake solo song that got big this year was a good one.  It could have been worse folks.


Much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment